Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symposium Client Install Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXguyTX

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2004
US
Hey All,

We are running SCCS 4.2 and I have pretty recent PEP CD from Jan 2003 for the client install on to a PC running Win XP but I keep getting an "internal application error ..contact system admin" when ever I try to click on real time statistics.

I tried installing Sybase first, and then installing the client but that didn't work. I've wiped out the harddrive and started fresh with only XP on the box about 5 times now.

Is it possible since the PC is so new with a 3.2 GhZ Intel P4 processor that it just might not work?

It shouldn't be the hardware.

I've had all kinds of issues with the thick client on XP, including that same error message. I don't use it at all on XP now.

I just built a new Win2k box yesterday I needed to load the client on and updated it with all the latests hotfixes and SP4. I hadn't installed sp4 on a box where I installed the symposium client and I just started seeing that error there as well.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the revision I have is not compatible. I'm using Symp Client 6.2 for SCCS 4.2

To workaround it, I just setup a small win2k server, installed no service packs, installed terminal services, and installed the client. Then from my XP box I use Remote Desktop Connection and connect to the machine when I need to use the client.

I would love to find a thick client that runs well on XP.

I'm convinced it's the Hardware in these new Dell GX270 because I have several other Dell GX260 with the same version of XP Sp1 and it works. But with this new GX270 and XP the symposium client will not work.

See I wish I could do what you are doing but we don't have the Web Client for agent stats so all of our supervisor PCs need to run the symposium client. I have revision 6 of the client. I just ordered a new CD with PEPs from Nortel the other day so I'm going to wait and see if that works.

I'll let you know.

My workstation is a 3GHZ GX270 Dell as well, so you may be right. The machine I mentioned I worked on yesterday that had the problem was a Dell PowerEdge 1750 2.8 GHZ. I never suspected it was Dell's hardware since I've been using it for so long.

I don't have the Web client setup, I dumped the 4.0 version the previous administrator had setup because the supervisors kept complaining about the way to refreshing worked was giving them headaches. I'm trying to get Web client 4.5 to see if it is any better.

I just setup a simple windows terminal server and used the new Remote Desktop Connection software that is built in to XP. Its in Communcations under Accessories from the Start Menu.

What are the lastest PEPs released? I have a hard time getting good info out of my vendor.

Thanks.

My new Dell is 3.2 GHZ GX270.. haha.. j/k.. I'm thinking I might just have to keep my old computer now and give this new one to someone else and tell all the supervisors they have to keep their old computers.. oh well.. wait and see after I get the new CD.

I'm not sure what the latest PEPs are on the CD so I'm just buying the CD and hopeing for the best.

We are looking into the Web Client thing as well if I can't get these XP boxes to work. Can you do everything from the Web client that you can do within the SCCS client?

I was told by a Symposium instructor that the new versions of the web client are more comprehensive than the thick (classic) clients. He mentioned that he felt they might move completely to thin (web) clients. Like they did with Callpilot 2.0

I just hope they got someone who could write an applet or something for the real-time displays that doesn't flash and refresh.

There is a specific PEP for installing the fat client on Pentium IV machines - have you tried downloading and installing it? It is not a PEP in the traditional sense but rather an alternative method of installation that works around a known incompatibility with the Pentium IV processor.

Can you tell me which PEP it is on so I can get my vendor to supply it to me?

Or if it is alternate installation method, can you describe?

i'm running a GX270 P4 2.6 w/ Win XP and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

you should be running client ver. 4.01.07 rev 5.

the SU that has the support for the P4 is NS040107SU10C

Les Brown
Kelly Services, Inc.

well, came across another post in the forum that indicates the 3.0ghz seems to be some new threshold that causes a problem. apparently the version i'm on works fine if you're on a "slower" P4, but not on the faster. wish i had a 3.0ghz so i could "suffer" along with you. :)

Les Brown
Kelly Services, Inc.

Wow, I haven't had a processor speed kill an app since before Pentium. Is this common of Nortel's products? Their gear seems very legacy.

I guess I can't run it directly on my workstation, but I am having the same experience on a Dell Poweredge 2.7Ghz.
Hopefully, I can track down the disks you mentioned and get that running.

Are there other forums I can get good info on Nortel?

Thanks to you all

The PEP ID for the Pentium IV problem is 040107_TM29613. This addresses a specific install-time issue and so it may not fix your specific problem, but then again, maybe it will! In my case, at a client's site I could not install the client without this PEP.

if there are other forums for info on nortel, I haven't found them. i'd be curious to know too. this SEEMS to be the only thing going.

Les Brown
Kelly Services, Inc.

Ok for those of you following this thread I've got the correct Nortel PEP to work on the new Dell Pentium 4 computers running windows XP and Symposium 4.2 Client. It is the same PEP that "brownlg" mentions above.

My Dell PC is GX270 Optiplex 3.2 GHZ and I've tested this PEP on two other PCs running 3.0 and 2.8 GHZ. One was Dell Optiplex GX260 and the other is a Dell Optiplex GX270.

Use PEP NS040107SU10C.

Bill
Austin, TX

Was it a new installer for the client or PEP loaded into the Symposium Server itself?

It was the PEP itself that made it work. I used our existing 4.2 client.

If you have a FTP site I could upload it or want to pay for shipping I'll burn your a copy of the CD. The file size is about 9.58 MB so it's too big to email.

let me know.

Sorry Ken, I didn't answer your question. It was a PEP for the client PC. I did not add anything to the server.

Hey ken,

Let me know if you want it. I'll have my friend load it up on his FTP site and then you can down load it.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back