Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symposium 5.0 Network Backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdalida

Programmer
Jun 30, 2003
US
I have a Symposium 5.0 System. I am trying to perform a network backup on the server. I have a user profile built on my network and SCCS server. It has user and administrative privileges. I set it to log on as a server also. I'm loged on the server as NGenSys. When I try and perform the backup, it fails with unkown user or bad password. This like this should be a very simple proceedure. Any body have any ideas on what I might be missing?

Thank You

You have to have identical local users on both servers (the Symposium Server and the server where the backup will be saved.
Both users must have the same user name and password on both machines.
The backup folder must be shared and read/write access allowed for that user.

Steamer

Yes, I have identical users on both servers. Thanks though for the input.

Have you set that user account up in the Symposium to log on as a service? And set that account in the Services Panel for Symposium backup?

I went and set that account in the services panel for the mas backup/restore account. Now it works. Thank you very much for your input. I did not see this setting in any of the Symposium NTP's.

I will give you a star Sandy, I think you may know what you are talking about!!! I could be crazy, wait I am!!!

Folks, I'm interested in getting feedback about the Symposium 4.2 & 5.0 procedure for setting up Database Network backups.
The current procedure is to
1. Setup identical 'Administrator' accounts on Sym. server and remote server
2. Add privilege 'log in as a service' to the user on the Sym. server.

Once you have set this up the MAS backup/restore service should be automatically changed to impersonate this user. (* I think there may have been a bug here in an early 5.0 SU that caused the problem described above)

It is possible to change this design so that the synchronised accounts are not needed. The MAS backup/restore service could be enhanced to gain access to the remote server programatically using the domain\username & password of the remote machine supplied at the configuration state. There would therefore be no need to setup a local account with 'login as service' privilege.

The question is: Would existing users find this useful or are you satisfied with the existing procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back