Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sympatico/Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

colobean

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
Having tons of problems with Sympatico. The worst at the moment is that I am unable to send out emails through Outlook Express. I continually get an encryption message. I understand that the problem rests with Norton. I can send if I disable the anti virus scanning on Norton but I don't think that disabling is a great idea. If I get Norton to help it will cost $29.95 which I think is ridiculous.
I receive the error messages but can't figure out what to do about them.

How can I resolve this problem?

Please help!
THanks

What is the error message you receive?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Hi

The error message is :

1) An encrypted email connection has been detected.
2) Unable to establlish a SSL connection with the server. Account
pophm.sympatico.ca
Server smtphm.sympatico.ca Protocol SMTP, Server Response 454 TLS not
available due to temporary reason. Port 25, Secure SSL; Yes, Server Error
454, Error Number Ox800CCC7F

I just wanted to add to this... no solutions.

I have Norton Internet Security. I also have the error "An encrypted email connection has been detected." Which, does not say it is from Norton. I can disable my email scanning, and I still have the error. But, if I disable my security all together, the error is no longer present and my email works.

I run my own mail server (exchange 2003) and I wanted to NOT provide user passwords in clear text. Now, what I have to do is have the user remove their security, just so I can secure passwords! I dont think so. I will remove Norton first! And Yes, I tried defining all my firewall rules to check for blocking ports and what not.

This is absolutely rediculous. What I have to do is remove all security, so I can get email security. Symantec, you must resolve this. (if only you could here me :)

I am sure Sympatico is not the only ISP to have secure mail logons. So I am suprised that this problem is evident in what I think is a pretty good program from Norton.

If I get anymore info, I'm happy to post results.

Ok, just an FYI for anyone finding this...

I found the solution to my problem, but not the main problem.

In Norton Internet Security Options, go the the Firewall tab and make sure port 25 is not in the HTTP Port list.

I can now send emails with the rest of the security ON, EXCEPT for the email scanning. And while this helps me just a little, it's not a solution. It is still stupid that we cannot run email virus scanning AND have a secure connection to the server. Isn't that partly why we wanted to run Norton's product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back