Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symonview replacement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrf150

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
US
We are updating the pc's in our enterprise to XP and noticed that symonview is not compatible. We are currently running symposium 4.0 and were told to go to 4.2 and that there is a desktop agent app. similar to symonview . So i'm looking for feedback on the ADD or alternatives... Thanks.

What they are referring to is Symposium Web Client, which is included at no additional charge in 4.2 (in 4.0, it was an additional purchase, and pricey as well).

Web Client requires its own server, and gives supervisors and administrators a web browser interface to the Symposium (no more client software to install on their workstations). For agents, there is a small piece of software, and it provides a sort of "virtual wallboard" -- a little like your symonview, but better. It is compatible with XP.

Look up the documentation on Nortel's website ( If you want more than sales type material and don't have password access on Nortel's site, to this link:

You can run the Symonview client install in Windows NT 4.0 mode, in the Windows XP Program Combatability Wizard and it will install and Run Symonview on a Windows XP computer. That is what I had to do here because we are runnig version 4.0.

Thanks for the help it works great, what version symposium
do you have and which clint is on your supervisor pc's?. I run 6.0 clint on my XP laptop and the error log is constantly opening and reporting random errors that are not on the server .

Sandyml are you saying that if you are using the web client that it has it's own ticker that could be installed on the agent computers instead of using the Symonview ticker?

Yes, it's called ADD -- Agent Desktop Display. Very small app to load on agent pc, picks up realtime multicast from the Web Server. It's part of the Web Client application CD software. Compatible with XP, W2000. Do not have to configure skillsets like old Symonview, it picks up that agent's skillset info from Symposium. Requires agent to log into phone in order to launch banner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back