Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Premium Antispam

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyb

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
If anyone out there is using this, would you give me your opinion on this product? I am going to install a trial version. I am looking for a product where I don't have to do a lot of monitoring and reviewing but I want good spam filtering. I tried to talk to a Symantec sales rep and a reseller, but they seem confused about this product vs. their other brightmail product (I guess I learned more than they did!). Anyway - opinions please.

i like it. I use Norton antispam 2005. just like any program you have to monitor and review spam mail for like a week or two. but after that you do not have to do a lot of monitoring.
It is one of the top of the line anti spam programs

but if you want a free antispam program cactus spam. that is what my company uses and we love it

The premium anti-spam uses Brightmail technology and ever sinse we started using it, spam was cut by about 95%.

So we bought it. Only about £15 per user.

tony you should have gotten Cactus Spam it gives the same results but for less cost LOL

As an IT manager, I could only really use a professional spam add-on that got rid of spam at the server level (with no user intervention).

Money well spent.

with every spam program requires some user intervention. I am tech and i have seen some crazy programs out there but for the companies i work with Norton and Cactus have been two of the best

The Brightmail add-on for SMSMSE (Symantec Premium Antispam) does not require any user intervention.

All you do is install the license and off it goes...

So I have 1 recommmendation for the SMSME add-on. Anyone else?

We have a 2-man IT department, so I really need a product that requires LITTLE IT intervention. thank you

We're currently in the process of switching over to SMSME from Antigen in the next few days. I will keep everyone posted as to what I find out.

Hey guys I'm back. The implentation of Symantec mail Security for Exchange was sucessfull and it's up and running for about 2 days now. Out of 2000 emails, 1000 are spam and 1 false positve. The false positive turned out to be an email from Charter.net. I highly recommend SMSMSE over the Antigen product. We used to have an agerssive RBL server list with the MS Antigen and that flag just about every domain as spam and compared to SMSMSE we don't even have the RBL servers in place and it's working very affectively off of the Premium AntiSpam Engine.

Been running it for years and very happy. But just updated to version 5 and have run into a serious bug which supposedly they are working on. It affects outbound e-mails only. The system does not currently send an NDR back to my internal users when their outbound message fails.

It is supposed to send a delay delivery notification after 4 hours (not sure if that is the default) and a failed delivery after 1 day (changed the default from 3 days). But neither of those are happening. So my users have no way to know that their e-mails were not delivered.

If you are only using it for inbound, then this is not a problem.

R.Sobelman

I'm using version 5 (5.0.4.363 to be exact) and I'm getting NDR's returned!

Strange...[ponder]

So I have Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5 (not sure of the exact) version. I have not purchased the premium version. I'm trying to block spam with the RBLs, content filtering and SCL. I'm failing mirserably.

Is purchasing the premion Anitspam but the only way to effectively block the correct spam on a consistent basis? Can I do it the way I am but just missing something?

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend any Symantec anti-virus/anti-spam product. I have had horrible support from their corp products recently. But it does an excellent job with spam - gets about 80%-85% on our system.

But I have always had a separate server (PC w/beefed up memory) to act as an anti-spam/anti-virus mail gateway. I would recommend this if at all possible. I would look at GFI Mail (both essentials and security combined). It is less expensive than Symantec and has high ratings on several tech forums.

R.Sobelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back