Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Mail Security 4.0 and Symantec antivirus CE 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapicio

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
We had an exchange server running Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 7.6 and Symantec Mail Filter for Exchange version 3.0. We've since upgraded both products to version 8.0 for Corporate Edition (SAVCE) and Symantec Mail Security 4.0 (SMS).

I noticed that antivirus 8.0 now has support for Exchange mailboxes (it is currently disabled). I guess my question is: Is it wise to have both installed on the Exchange Server? and If so, would activating the Exchange virus protection on SAVCE 8.0 disrupt the SMS 4.0 in any way?

I think the exchange mail boxes only protects client side ie outlook and things. From running SAV for exchange 3 it would be the best option just to stick with that on your server for protecting your mail boxes as it gives you virus and spam protection.
Have the corp client/server to protect other file on that server. The exchange mail box protection is only on the client of exchange and not the server install.
I wouldnt consider activating both on the same box as you might run into problems because the SMS will want todo one thing and the corp client will most likely want todo something else with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back