Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

XofCDe3rd

Technical User
Nov 9, 2003
Hi Everyone

does anyone know of any issues with symantec ghost 2003 and SATA hard disks.

Here is what I have done so far:
[ul]
[li]successfully created an image of a SATA Hard Disk via the windows interface.[/li]
[li]recompiled the image and spanned it across a couple of cds using ghost explorer.[/li]
[li]I made the first in the set bootable using nero to autoload ghost and restore the image[/li]
[/ul]

I know this process works IDE HDDs because I have successfully created a bootable restore sets for IDE HDDs

Is it just a case of:
[ol]
[li]using a more uptodate version of ghost[/li]
[li]loading sata drivers for this version of ghost[/li]
[/ol]

Any Suggestions would be most appreciated

Danny

When you create a boot disk from floppy use the "ghost.exe /noide" (without quotes) in your autoexc.bat file. Get it? No IDE. This works for both SCSI and SATA drives using Ghost.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Ta Rob

I shall give it a go and let you know soon...

for me the noide switch did not solve the problem.
SATA HD was not recognized. Also the -fni switch showed no effect.

I read a lot in different forums and it seems that you have to update ghost to the latest build.
(i think 793)
This should be accomplished using LiveUpdate and the Symantec Archive.
Unfortunately Live Update produced an error message and could not fully update ghost.
Nevertheless it shows now build 789 in my case.

Maybe LiveUpdate works with the english version.
I need to update the german version.

I am trying to find the update files ng2003b789_ge.x86.full.zip and ng2003b793_ge.x86.full.zip
but without success.

regards,

felix

One other thing you can try is check to see if your BIOS will put that SATA drive into a compatibility mode of some sort (different BIOSes call it different things). It then emulates a PATA which gets the imaging software happy. After imaging we set the drives back to normal as the special modes tend to slow the drive down some.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

agree with lawn, we had an issue creating ris images with sata drives, had to set the bios to sata native mode (in hp desktop)

Laters, phat, headshape

...and as for the version, keep 2003 around as it will work with Win2K3 and SBS servers, and the newer versions will not.

Tony

"If it can't take it, I don't want it

Unfortunately if i set the SATA mode to ahci i can use ghost 2003 to make the image, but Win XP wan´t boot anymore.

Since i have to use it for an automated backup/restore process i can´t change the SATA Mode all the time.

felix

felix27 said:
but Win XP wan´t boot anymore

I've not seen that, but I have seen the disk performance drop off. Looks like your only choice is to upgrade Ghost since I don't think you can add the correct drivers to it.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

As already stated by another, we use ghost 2003 via "ghost.exe -noide" and works fine for sata and scsi. No need to change compatibility modes or anything. What error are you getting?

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back