Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

symantec ghost won't complete image deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
This isn't really a Windows XP problem, but there isn't a specific group for this topic and I figured this would be an appropriate audience.

I have some hard drives in Dell laptops that check out fine no matter what diagnostic tool I use (norton disk doctor, fdisk /mbr, scandisk, dell hdd diagnostics, etc.). I can always format, parition, and install any OS on them. The problem is when I try to deploy a Symantec Ghost image on to them. It will hang at 99% and just sit there until it times out. The 99% imaged system won't boot properly. If I move the hard drive to a different laptop and reimage, it is the same problem. If I take a hard drive where the image deploys 100%, and move it to any other system, it always works, so the problem seems to be with the particular disks.

Any ideas?

TIA

This may sound silly, but are you sure all power options are disabled in the BIOS? Your laptops may be putting some devices to sleep.

I've heard of this problem, and it may have to do with the way Dell has named the hard drive. Because of the change in name, Ghost is confused. If anyone has more information on this, I'd like to know also. Thanks.

How are you deploying the image? What version of Ghost are you using? And have you, if you are performing the imaging over a network connection, check the type of DOS drivers you are using. It is often best to get the most recent NDIS2 drivers from the makers of the nic itself, not from the vendor of the system. If you are imaging locally, say to a second HD or partition, do be sure to do a low level defragmentation of the drive, with software like diskeeper pro, before taking an imaging of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back