Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Ghost and Multicasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATech

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
US
I'm having a problem that i suspect is with the multicasting function in Ghost 6.51. I manage our servers but not our network hardware (e.g. switches, routers). When I attempt to upload an image from my workstation on subnet (xxx.xxx.176.xxx) to my Ghost server which resides in another building and on another subnet (xxx.xxx.135.20), I get an error about 10 secs after I'm prompted for my session name. Thus, I get by the NIC drivers, DHCP, select Multicasting, type session name, and the next prompt I get is an error stating "Unable to connect to TCP/IP server, make sure it is set to accept you request...". Well, it is set to accept my request.

Has anyone experienced this before? If the problem is with the switch and router configuration, what is the best way to phrase the question to my network support folks? Is multicasting a default setting with Cisco switches/routers or is it a user option? Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Thanks, ________
S. Joseph Vergara
SVergara@Texas.net

I'm going to give a guess here not being an expert on Ghost or even some it's details.. mutlicasting is more then likely based on UDP.. if so, then the router is going to block it going to the second subnet unless the router is setup to forward UDP of that type.. I can easily be off base here but it's a thought :)

MikeS Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

First step would be to get the network dept. to work with you with a Sniffer....They can verify if the request are getting to the server....

The may not want to foward multicast.
But, if they do they will need the following statement:

"ip multicast-routing"

This is off the top of my head, but it would be a start...

Later,
Tre's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back