Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Ghost 7.5 Windows server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

pee2be

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
NL
Hello everybody,

After wrestling for weeks right now and not finding a suitable answer from microsoft or symantec i'll try to ask you guys.

I installed Server 2003 and S. Ghost 7.5 and suddenly the clients are unable to contact the server during their installation process. Saying cannot retrieve TCP/IP address. Unable to contact the DHCP-server.

Before saying "He try to configure your DHCP right.."...I did that and used every tool to verify everything even the BIG 3.

I have found 1 site which explains a bit but unfortunately it is in german.
Does anybody have the same problems or have a solution how to install Symantec Ghost Corporate 7.5 on a Windows Server 2003 machine,.....please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Hi Mate,

I have had the same problem. When I have read up on it, you cannot contact a Windows 2003 Server domain controller from the dos prompt.

I did exactly the same - created a set of dos disks to connect my client machines to copy across a ghost image - and I could see the server online, but couldn't connect to the share as it said "access denied".

There is a work around if you change settings but security won't be so high on your server.

d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

I am a bit lost on how you guys try to get the image accross. Don't you just use one of the multicast options?
I just made a floppy that activates the network and receive an IP from the DHCP server.
I create a ghost session on the server and then start ghost with option -ja=sessionname. You can also just start ghost and choose multicast etc etc.

I tried this last night and that works fine? This way you don't create a network share and might not have the access problem?

If you like to know more just ask...

Pim

We ran into the same problem at our site. Here's one thing so you don't waste your time, upgrading to Ghost 2003 does not resolve the issue. Our resolution:

We have multiple domains, and since we know it worked on 2K Domain servers we thought we used that domain to log into(you can change your domain on the Ghost floppy in Network.ini). Keep the server and the share where your images are located the same in the Autoexec.

You'll be validated by the 2k domain. Be sure your Trusts are functioning correctly.

-RuN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back