Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec - Enable AutoProtect - won't enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpman3

Programmer
Sep 26, 2007
I am running XP Pro SP1 on a dell inspiron 600. I have most current updates from Symantec, but when I try to Enable Auto Protect, it dies within seconds. I have also gone out to Ewido and downloaded the AV program from there. I know I have a Trojan or something because of the pop ups I am recieving. Neither Symantec or AVG Anti Spyware remove the problem. I have also tried Hi-jack this to see if anything abnormal is found. I can't get rid of this.

On a side note, I haven't seen a lot of talk about Hi-jack this on the site lately. Does anyone still recommend it?

Any suggestions? I don't have a lot of software installed on this laptop, so a reinstall is always an option for me, but I would rather try to fix this and if I can't, wipe clean and start from scratch.

tpman3

Since you want to try and fix before you re-install - I would uninstall and re-install symantec - be sure to update. I would delete all temporary files, msconfig the system, disable system restore (if enabled). Verify you can enable real time protection (SAV) - boot into safe mode and scan with Symantec and Ewido. Whatever Symantec finds on your computer - go to the Symantec site and verify if they have a tool available to clean the threat. If not, they usually post directions on how to clean. Also download WIndows XP SP 2 and all security updates. Check your Windows System Event log for any additional follow up. Once you do all this your laptop should be good. Go ahead and re-enable system restore if you like. If not, I would do the re-load.

Let me know how it goes
Regards,
PCRTech
"Don't wait for an example - Be the example

Well, I did the reload and then locked the sucker down so none of my kids can use it. Sorry Kids, no more webkinz on dad's laptop. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back