Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Corporate 10.0 Using High Server CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirre777

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
US
Heres the problem. Rtvscan.exe is using 50% of the cpu cycles on my server. I have CE 10.0.0.1000 and Mail Security for Exchange (this server is also the only Exchange server). This has been going on for awhile and it slows down the server. I have disabled Auto Protect on both the Symantec client and SMSFE but rtvscan.exe still hogs the cpu. What could still be pulling the cpu that hard with both auto protects disabled?

I've upgraded the server and all clients to 10.1 and the problem is still there. I've followed Symantecs recommedations for excluding all the Exchange directories as well as Symantec Antivirus for Exhchange directories. The problem just will not go away. Stopping the Antivirus Client service causes the problem to go away so I'm sure thats the source of the problem. I just can't seem to keep the client from using 50 to 60% of the server CPU all the time. RTVScan.exe is the service eating the processor. Any help would be great!

Do you have an auto-scan at startup configured to run?

Auto Scans are disabled. All the appropriate exclusions are set for Exchange and SMSFE. Only 1 full scan is set for 3:00AM. Turned that off. Have all the exclusions set for Auto Protect as well as the scheduled scans. Its unmanaged as well. Its the auto protect doing it cause I can disable Auto Protect and reset the service and its gone. As soon as I reable it, bam, 50% CPU. I'm out of ideas so for now Im just gonna try to set a manual scan and leave auto protect off and see if its ok. Very disappointed in Symantec. Just paid 4 grand for the licensing and I sat on hold yesterday for 2 hours and still no one would answer. Thinking about a refund. Software really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back