Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec Anti-Virus 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalee

Instructor
Aug 26, 2006
US
Hello All,

We are using Symantec Anti-Virus 10.0 for our desktop pc's and it updates over a WAN from a server with the Symantec Console installed. I have found on many occations (but not all) that the anti-virus software is causing major performance issues on the computers. Does anyone have any good information on this topic?

Thanks again,

Jason Lee

SAV10 can be a big of a resource hog what spec are the affected stations?

Do you only see this when the clients are updating or in general operation?

You could also try the Symantec forum forum742

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

Most are a range of PM or P4 ranging between 512 mb and 1 gb of RAM. It seems that the entire operation of the computer suffers until the application is removed. This does not affect all the computers on the network, just sporadic machines.

It might be worth posting in the Symantec forum, we moved away from Symantec for this very reason it seemed to use allot of resources.

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

I will post in that forum too - thanks for the info.....just curious, what are you using currently?

We moved to NOD32 and have been very impressed it's lighter than SAV and seems more efficient at detecting ADware and viruses.

well you could always try the latest version 10.1.4

I have 300+ workstations working without any issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back