Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

symantec 7.6 to 11.0 Enterprise edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2008
US
Hello, I'm an assistant IT admin and my boss (the IT admin) is looking to upgrade his current security setup from symantec 7.6 to 11.0 enterprise edition. However he is not a fan of migrating so he wants to do a fresh install on a seperate server than the server currently housing the 7.6 edition. His concern is can these two different versions coexist on the same network until he gets 11.0 fully up and running? Has anyone tried something similar? Or can give me a hand on how to go about this? Will we have to uninstall the clients one at A time before installing the 11.0 version?

I did my migration the same way you are proposing: installing a parallel management server, then upgrading the clients. I have tested client upgrades from v8, v9, v10, and v10.1 and all worked well (far better than migrating ever worked under Corporate Edition.) I have not tested 7.6, so your mileage may vary.

Yay! SEP! Do your homework on this thing before trying it.

Be sure to get the latest version, they just came out with a management release a little over a week ago with a FRIGHTENING fix list. You've been warned.

I agree with jkupski. Leave the old system up and getting updates in case this deployment takes longer than you expect. Obviously, try a test rollout to a few clients that are friendly to your cause.

You'll probably have to create a separate 'group' because of the age of the old system. I wouldn't try to 'upgrade' the current system to 11. It's probably a good time to pull the old system out by the roots and start fresh. If your deployment is under 100 nodes, it's probably still less work to start fresh.

Agree with both post above. You will have to get a utility called nonav to remove the av grom the clients one the software has been removed the deploy it to a few clients. in case if something goes wrong you can remove the new version and reinstall the old one until you get the correct set up for the new version.
I went fom sav 8.0 sav 10.1.5 and i did it the way which i described with minor roll out issues.

ITAssistant5,
I agree with SteveRW, read up on SEP first. It is a whole new beast with a lot of features to chose from! But installing it on a new system is the way to go. My SAVCE v.10 is still protecting some clients, my SEP is dealing with the others, until I get them all moved.

If you push out the upgrade to your clients or if they download it & install themselves, SEP un-installs the old version during the upgrade so that part is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back