Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symantec 200R and Mac OS connectivity probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmack5

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2005
US
hello-

I help run a small 20-PC business. We have the Symantec 200R Firewall/VPN appliance taking care of everything on site.

We have an issue where one of the managers prefers Mac, and he cannot connect via VPN to this appliance.

I found a knowledge base document explaining that the Mac user must use Vaporware, AND that they must use firmware version 1.7I:

Looking at the list of available firmware for the product, I can only find the latest being 1.63:

My current firmware is indeed old: the on on the bottom of the last link: vpn200R_15T_all.zip

We bought this appliance back in '03, and so we don't have the technical support anymore. I've called them a few times, and Customer support was dumbfounded with my issue, mostly with the fact that the firmware needed cannot be found on their site NOR their ftp site.

Any insites?

Issue solved.

After fighting with Customer Support we received the help we needed to solve the problem.

This post goes towards the "I hate Symantec Customer Support" crowd.

It turns out that there are some firmware updates that they tag 'Special' or 'Specific-Use'. The 1.7I is one of these. It was developed to solve this issue, but you are not supposed to have access to the solution unless you are a paying support member. Because I found the specific solution on their public website, they told me that this was a special case and that they'd help me out. so, the emailed me the firmware, I updated it, and low and behold, VPN was back in business.

We're looking at an Astara 220 as our new VPN application (yes an upgrade). Just thought I'd share for those interested in a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back