Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase SQLServer Service not starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakya123

Vendor
Mar 7, 2006
IN
Hi,

We are using SCCS 5.0 (SU05) on win2K platform.
Recently i had taken a restart of the server to change the status of my server from Active to Standby.
But i have found that the Sybase SQL Server Service is not starting now.
I have tried to keep it in manual mode and start it manually but its not just getting started.

It was an active server working perfectly fine sometime back.Recently we had applied Microsoft Windows Hotfxes on the server.

Any Tips?

Regards,

Pakya.

Was the Hotfixes on the Nortel approved list? If they were not I would back the Hotfixes off the server.

Is it working in a non-replicating scenario right now? Does the service start on the standby server?

HotFixes are approved by Nortel.
I have removed the server from replication and the services are currently in manual mode.( I have kept the services in manual mode to speed up the process of changing the server from Active to Standby)
I cannot even open the Configuration manager where i can change the Server config.
Rolled back the Hotfixes but still doesn't seem to work.

Thinking about rebuilding the server. But want to make a last ditch effort.

Try this: From Start->Run execute this command: "serman auto"
A command window and a message "services set successfully" will appear. Click "OK".
Reboot the server.

Hi Vak,

Do u mean D:\nortel\iccm\bin\serman auto ......?

I tried doing this too. but the problem is the Sybase SQL Server service is not starting. and also unable to open the Configuration utility.

I still haven't figured out what server is in service for you right now. Is it the original active or the original standby server? When you change from active to standby, you also should have changed the server name and CLAN IP address. Did you do this? You would have done this same operation on the old standby to make it the new active. You also mention that you are using Win2k server with SCCS 5_0. This is not a supported platform for the standby server feature. I am probably misunderstanding your situation, but it sounds to me like you are trying to use an active, standby, and replication server in your environment. Is that correct? If not I am totally lost, although you might want to look at running the computer name sync utility to see if your database server name matches your OS server name.

Good luck
Rob

I am using active, standby and replication server environment.
The server in question is the original active. The problem happened when i tried to switch the warm standby configurarion.Standby to Active was succesful, but Active to standby was unsuccesful.And the reason for that was the Sybase SQL server service was not starting and also, i was not able to open the Setup configuration which is required to switch the configuration(Active or Standby).
And yes,my computer name matches with the Database server name.(I had folowed all the steps in sequence, to switch the Warm standby configuration exactly as per the document).

Rob, Iam refering following Document :[Installation&Maintenance_W2000_R_50_Standard_5]
It says we can install Standby server feature on a Win2K platform. Would like to know your reference also.

Thanks,
Pakya

I stand corrected as I now see that in the docs. I don't know why I thought you had to be on win2k3. I am still curious about your scenario because I am testing one of my sites this weekend. Is this the first time you have tested this procedure. I remember a patch regarding something like "can't remove servers from replication a second time". Have you tested this before and had it work for this site?

Rob

Go to Admin tools>Services> right click that service and go to log on. Once there browse to the NGEN account & select it & enter it's password. than try starting the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back