Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase IQ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2003
US
Anyone have any experience working with or evaluating Sybase IQ (note - this is not the Sybase ASE database which is similar to MS Sql Server)? In particular, we are interested in performance gains associated with the column based RDBMS technology, and a few other items such as indexing, deleting records, and optimal design techniques.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

I've used the earlier version "Adaptive Server Anywhere" v6, and it works great. Very low overhead on the host system, and the admin tools are easy to use.
However, we didn't compare it to other systems so can't really give a definitive view compared to its rivals.

John

I have used Sybase IQ, and Multiplex for over 5 years. What kind(s) of business problems are you planning to solve using IQ? Data Magnitudes? Iron (os/San...)?

We are considering using Sybase IQ for Marketing Campaign analysis. We do a large amount of direct marketing (auto insurance, credit card) and want to analyze the results quickly. We often have 30 million solicitations in a campaign and over a dozen campaigns a year. Our standard database is Oracle and Sybase IQ tech folks have indicated that they will beat Oracle many fold in performance while occupying considerable less disk space. Your thoughts?

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

We are in a very similar situation to the initial post. We are having a consulting firm suggest Sybase IQ as a solution for our Marketing Campaign needs. We are also a direct marketers. Our volumes will be tens of millions. We are also primarily an Oracle shop. And are trying to determine if we wish to go to Sybase IQ as opposed to implementation with Oracle.
Have you made more progress on this effort? Did you go with IQ? If so, what has been your experience so far? I'd love to compare thoughts and notes.

I had evaluated Sybase IQ 12.5 in my former job. The other competitors were Oracle 9i and DB2 UDB... I changed my job and I must evaluate again here, in my new job. We have a case study, but for my evaluation document I need a feature comparison list (Sybase ASIQ 12.5 vs. Oracle 9.2) in detail. Can anybody help me? thnx.

gobel - are you sure you are talking about Sybase IQ and not Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise)?

Sybase IQ is a column based database and is a different animal from most relational databases. Sybase ASE is a relational database and the offspring of the one that Microsoft pillaged during its one-sided partnership with Sybase which resulted in their SQL Server product.

====================================

ericeade - I have since been reassigned to another project. Our Oracle guru is now assigned the project and is convinced that Oracle with bitmap indexes can be as fast as Sybase IQ. It's just as well that he is on the project as he would always be complaining if we picked Sybase IQ over Oracle without his involvement. I will keep everyone posted in this thread regarding our head-to-head evaluation of Oracle 10g with bitmaps versus Sybase IQ column database.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

We used sybase IQ multiplex at our company as a data warehouse. We loaded over 200 tables from many different applications; from Oracle, DB2, VSAM files ect...
We would load production data every night from these tables and use the data warehouse for reporting using business objects and other tools.
The speed and compressability of data was tremendous. Because of its capabilities, more and more users wanted to use the data warehouse to load their data. Now it supports most of the reporting needs of the company.

Yes, I definitely talk about Sybase Adaptive Server IQ 12.5.
Bitmap indexes in Oracle are useful, but it has cardinality limitations as you know. By experience, I have convinced that Oracle can never run as quick as Sybase IQ, unless the result set is too wide (for example select all columns from a 300-400 columned table).
So, if anybody has a feature comparison list (Sybase ASIQ vs. Oracle 9i), please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back