Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sybase/Infomaker field dependency

Status
Not open for further replies.

yelizavetayr

Programmer
Jul 9, 2015
US
Hello,

I am working on a Custom screen in sybase - infomaker 12.0 (for the Tessitura application).

The screen has 6 data fields that pull from a separate data window.
They pull a description field (to display) and an id field (to store). What I would like to do is limit (in infomaker) the users drop down options.

If they've already selected option1 in the first drop down, when they go to option2 in the second drop down option1 won't appear. (all theoretically without clicking save).

We have

Genre 1: If Jazz is selected here.

Genre 2: Jazz should no longer be an option here, if Classical is selected here.

Genre 3: Jazz and classical should not be options here.

etc.

There is the option to code a trigger in sql to say/pop up for the user after they've saved saying "don't do that" but what i would like is to have the drop down be limited/updated based on the previous selection.

The data is pulled from a reference table we create and users populate as they need to - and selected in a separate data window in infomaker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I should add I've taken the instructions apart in the Tessitura documentation - I found this but it's not very helpful, and has confused me more then helped me.

This language: It is possible to have dropdowns in custom screens dependent on the value in another column in the screen (added v6.5). See the datawindow, ld_program and the dropdown datawindow, ld_donation_level in UserReports.pbl for an example of how to use this functionality. Note the following (referencing the samples):

1. The column tr_donation_level_desc is a text column that retrieves the description value from the database. The visible property of the column is such that it only is visible on rows that are not the current row. It has a tag property of NOUPDATE, because it is not saved to the database.

2. This text column is positioned at exactly the same position as the dependant dropdown column, donation_level. The dropdown column donation_level has a visible property that makes it visible only on the current row.

3. The tag value for the dependant dropdown column donation_level is {tr_donation_level_description, program_no}. This array contains the following two values: the name of the column that is positioned over the dependant dropdown column; and the name of the column whose value is the retrieval argument for this dropdown.

4. The data column name must refer to a numeric column and the display column name must refer to a string column.

5. The dropdown datawindow ld_donation_level has a numeric retrieval arguement.

6. The donation_level column has the AutoRetrieve checkbox unchecked on the Edit tab in Infomaker. This prevents the dropdown from populating automatically

But I couldn't find the webinar and am a bit stuck on the instructions provided.

Thank you,

-Yelizaveta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back