Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sybase 11.x fragment size

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey1028

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
US
I have an 11.9.2 database with 128 2GB devices. If I create a new database on a differant server with say 8GB devices, can I dump and load the database to get around the 128 limit or does this still show as 128 devices in sysusages table?

Your strategy won't have a problem for the reason you are wondering about: any given device is only one entry in sysdevices. But there may be a different problem: Does 11.9.2 allow data devices larger than 2GB? Check the documentation; it may not. Later versions of Sybase definitely allow larger devices (and 11.9.2 may depending upon the underlying OS in question).

One trick to finding info about 11.9.2 in Sybase's on-line manuals: most of the info on 11.9.2 is actually in the 11.5 manuals (they didn't do a new full set for 11.9.2 because little had changed). This link may be helpful:

Also, I think you may find that the limit on 128 devices is self-imposed, so to speak. You can change the number of devices via a call to sp_configure "number of devices"--the limit appears to be 256 (see Sys Admin Guide chapter on Setting Configuration Parameters | Disk I/O | number of devices.

HTH,

John J M Craig
Alpha-G Consulting, LLC
nsjmcraig@netscape.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back