Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switchport timeout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tklamb

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2008
CA
Can anyone tell me if there is a method to shutdown an interface after a specified period of time?

I have data jacks in public areas (meeting rooms, etc) that I typically leave shutdown but it would be nice no shut them for a specified period of time so I don't have to remember to got back and manually shut them again.

thanks.

you can use kron or you can config to start up and set the reload at later time and date

thx Flyers01, could you give me more detail. Don't understand what you mean.

he means you can create a kron job which is like a scheduled task in Winblows. or cron job in linux. or you can reboot your switch at some time in the future. log on to switch and go to config t mode
reload ? will give you several other options

I'd do the KRON job. More control, more specific. I use it for NAT XLATEs (clear) and clearing interface counters.

/

Thanks for you're replies! From what I read about KRON jobs you can only schedule repeated events at the same time besides it doesn't appear I have the proper version. But I did find a solution though... by using a freeware app called Kiwi CatTools I can schedule it to run predefined commands on any switch in the network whenever I chose.

Seems to work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back