Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching To Linux 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgilbert

MIS
Sep 16, 2005
US
I am a born and raised Windows user with very little experience in Unix command-line and even less in Linux(GUI). I would like to make the jump to linux. My only concern is that some of my software won't migrate. I use a lot of open source software for my everyday work, but I also use a lot of Adobe (Illustrator, PShop, Audition, Acrobat, GoLive)and Macromedia Products (MX Studio).

I really don't want to lose my pricey software by switching. I could always dual boot and use XP for my development environment but I'd rather just ditch Windows altogether on my laptop.

Also, I have centrino (pre-sonoma) with the intel 2200 b/g wireless card. I had read before that some of the linux versions weren't supporting the centrino laptops.

I was considering Fedora Core 3, or Solaris 10, but I am completely open to suggestions. Of course, I would like something user-friendly because I am new, but I am not afraid to learn or to be challanged.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Just my 2 cents:

I'd suggest Ubuntu, great for linux newbs... it also has great hardware support as well. Here is a link to their forum:
You can find links to download it their, as well as many other great tutorials & helpful posts.

As far as photoshop, you could use "Crossover Office" for alot of the linux flavors out their to support some of the widely used MS only apps:

I don't know how stuck you are on photoshop, but ubuntu comes with gimp... a great open source alternative that will run on linux.

Let us know your results!

X

Ubuntu, eh? I'll definitely check it out. I have heard of Gimp. I am using OpenOffice 2 for the office suite. I actually like it better than MS Office (love that you can write macros in something other than VB).

Of course, I may just result to a dual boot. I would really like to be able to use my adobe and macromedia software, but I guess I should give up on that.

Thanks

My biggest issue is drivers. I am using the built-in Intel 2200 wireless b/g card on the centrino platform. I want to make sure that the centrino is supported by ubuntu. Do Linux OSs have an HCL?

Joe

I meant to ask... what brand/model laptop is yours?

As an aside, crossover office looks like a great program. Is their an open-source version of that, or someone that puts out an open-source product that is similar

Best way to determine full hardware support is download the latest live cd. That way you can boot from cd directly into the os. Please report back after doing so... I'd really like to know your results. I do know alot of dell laptops are supported.

Is their an open-source version of that, or someone that puts out an open-source product that is similar?

They built their software on wine... see their page referring to this:

You can run alot of Windows programs on wine... but it takes a little bit of work. You can avoid the troublesome work to use by using their software... plus your getting support. However, if you are still interested in wine:

I am a born and raised Windows user with very little experience in Unix command-line and even less in Linux(GUI). I would like to make the jump to linux. My only concern is that some of my software won't migrate. I use a lot of open source software for my everyday work, but I also use a lot of Adobe (Illustrator, PShop, Audition, Acrobat, GoLive)and Macromedia Products (MX Studio).
Most of those don't have Linux versions. That said,

GIMP replaces Photoshop (for free)

Illtrator is replaced with InkScape

Acrobat is availible, and there are other pdf veiwers/editors.

Don't know what GoLive is...

Macromedia is Adobe now. Aside from other HTML editors to replace DreamWeaver there isn't a good replacment for Macromedia's products.

I really don't want to lose my pricey software by switching.
Most of it is replaced with Free and open alturnitives. Not to mention you can always dual boot, and/or run an emulator.

I could always dual boot and use XP for my development environment but I'd rather just ditch Windows altogether on my laptop.

Also, I have centrino (pre-sonoma) with the intel 2200 b/g wireless card.
Wireless and linux can be tricky. It's rather evil... I've not had much chance to play with it.

I had read before that some of the linux versions weren't supporting the centrino laptops.
Not supproting and doesn't work are two different things; but, there are distros that do support Centrino... Just make sure to check the compatatbility list before installing Linux (and after installing it, check the lists before buying new hardware).

I was considering Fedora Core 3, or Solaris 10, but I am completely open to suggestions. Of course, I would like something user-friendly because I am new, but I am not afraid to learn or to be challanged.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

As far Ubuntu is concerned, there is a live version which you can use to see if it works for you -- test the default drivers and software packages -- before you install or touch your hard drive. There is also Knoppix and PuppyLinux which also are live distros. Ah, but looking up, someone beat me to this line of thinking.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Keep in mind that The Gimp only replaces Photoshop if you're not dealing with print graphics. It's great for a replacement for web graphics, but completely insufficient for inks.

Inkscape is in no way comparable to Illustrator. It's not even a 1.0 release, for cryin out loud.

I spend almost my whole day in Linux and love it, but if you're a professional artist, you'd really be better off getting a Mac these days. Most of the benefits, less hassle, and all the professional multimedia apps you have now.

: Daniel :

-

To check for experiences with specific laptops and linux, the first adress is linux-on-laptops, imho:

I got an centrino-laptop and cpu-throttling works very fine out of the box (ubuntu 5.04) - allmost running on 600 Mhz with this 2 Ghz model.

Wlan is supported but I don't use it and can't tell from own experience.

Suspend to disk is either not working without problems, or too complicated for me to get it setup right. Perhaps my multiboot-options are confusing for the system.
I didn't spend more than 20 minutes on that issue.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I'd recommend using Gentoo ( the support forums are extremely (re)active and extremely nice (some exceptions confirm the rule).
I've been using it for a year, straight from Windows, and I never looked back. The installation is pretty straight-forward, although I would browse and lurk on forums.gentoo.org for a bit just in case; might save you from encountering some commonly found issues.
Also, when you have a livecd and you want to find out your hardware, you can do this:
lspci -v | less
"lspci" by itself works also, but I like verbose outputs. YMMV :)

-Haben sie fosforos?
-No tiengo caballero, but I have un briquet.

Now that Gentoo has been mentioned, there's bound to be a distro flame war coming up ...

I'm only recommending Gentoo because it's the only distribution I've liked (although I am biased, since it is the first I tried and enjoyed). I have yet to install Debian (I know, I know, lazy me), and far from me the idea to get into a flame war.

As I said : Your Mileage May Vary. What is good for me may not be good for you, etc etc.

-Haben sie fosforos?

I have tried several distributions. I'm currently using gentoo as well, but I have tried RH, Debian, SuSE, Fedora, Mandrake, and probably a few I've forgotton.

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Honestly speaking, if you are just switching to linux and haven't used any distribution before, I'd stay away from Gentoo. It's a very involved distro and can be time consuming to maintain. It's great if you like to dabble with pretty much everything on the PC though.

The others I've tried I had various issues with, SuSE didn't like my hardware, RH I had dependency hell problems, Fedora didn't like my hardware, I can't remember why I don't use Mandrake, and Debian was great until I got stuck on something and no one wanted to help.

I haven't tried ubuntu but after talking with some people online they have said it 'just works' (in their experiences with it.) That's likely the one you'll want to try first. Once you get used to how linux deals with things like drivers, modules, device mapping and the like you might want to try a different distro that can provide you with more control over how it operates. With gentoo, you start with a very small install with no GUI, nothing, and build your way from there.

+1 danomac. Great explanation; I totally agree. My own little Ubuntu research turned up the same results as you.

-Haben sie fosforos?

I would use Kubuntu, just like Ubuntu but with KDE for the desktop (which I like way better than Gnome). I've run it on my laptop and it worked fine. I had to set up the ndiswrapper for the wireless card. Weird thing is that at my house the wireless card was extremely slow (using a linksys router), but I've gone other places (like hotels) and it worked really fast.

Kubuntu is by far my favorite distro, just like Debian, just more up to date.

Did you ever end up trying a distro?

I have been using an excellent linux operating system for about 2 years now. I have installed it on new systems and old alike and it will detect almost all hardware I have thrown at it.

The easy install, updates is exceptional and it will configure networks automatically.

They have an Open Source you may try free, if you like it you may purchase the Deluxe versions. Go to and see what is new in linux. Give it a try!!

xit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back