Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching to Gantt Chart Rearranges rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterKent

Technical User
Nov 29, 2011
US
Each time I switch to Gantt Chart my subtasks without children are moved below my subtask with childen. I need to stop this behavior.

So I start with:

ID1
|-ID2
|-ID3
|-ID4

After going to View->Gantt Chart or (in VBA) ViewApply Name:="Gantt Chart"

I get:

ID1
|-ID3
|-ID4
|-ID2

The actual IDs (far left field) are then out of sequence. Collapsing and expanding ID1 will revert back to my original view.

Thanks in advance.

-Kent

As a guess, I *think* you may have a sort field associated with the View (at a guess, "outline number").

In P2003:

Open the file, click on View > Gantt Chart to cause the problem display.

Click on Project > Sort > Sort by

In the sort popup, what do you see?

You might want to consider uploading a copy of the file here so we can look at. If you need to anonymize it, then simply copy the ID column over the Name column on both the Gantt and Resources views. You'll also have to clear out the various Number and Text fields if you've been using them.

Kent,
Your comment that expanding and collapsing the outline appears to restore things to order leads me to believe there is something going on -- perhaps a corrupted view. I am assuming there are not any macros running on the open event of the file, so my guess is view corruption.

In a copy of the file, switch to another view and then choose Tools > Organizer click the table tab and copy the Entry table from the Global.mpt file (usually in the list on the left) and replace the Entry table on the right. Then click the View tab and copy the Gantt Chart from Global into your project file.

Test and see if the issue is resolved. As always, ensure you are at the current service pack and cumulative update for the product.

Julie

@Julie ... so often when I read your advice, I think "Damn, *that* is what I should have said."

@MasterKent ... what Julie said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back