Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasnorway

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
NO
I installed a new server (mail), this resides inside our intranet. My original server (notes [1st]) was set up in our DMZ. I have moved copied all files from the notes server to the newly installed one and have replication set up between them. I have created connection documents so I can now connect to the mail and send mail out via notes (turn off SMTP on mail). But when I send mail from the internet it goes to notes mailbox and not relayed to the mail server.
What I want to do is move all my users to mail server and keep notes on the DMZ to as my link to the internet. Allowing people that want to check mail from outside to connect to it. Also will place some databases on it for people outside the school to fill out forms and the like.
Long story, question is. Can I connect to mail, send and receive mail in real time without having to wait for replication. In other words make mail my primary mail server and have notes be our (again) link to the internet and available for outside traffic.
I hope this makes sense.

Thank You.

Yes you can... by setting up a Cluster... but for what you are trying to do... my personal preference would be to set up a Reverse proxy server on the DMZ to access the internal Notes server, especially if you are only going to use the HTTP stack for internet traffic.

Here are some reasons why:

1.) Placing any server with user data and/or a directory out on a DMZ server publicly exposes internal assets. You may have never had someone make an attempt at someone hacking into your system, but having this asset out there is an open invitation.

2.) The Microsoft ISA server is easy to set up, is relatively inexpensive, is highly secure and is completely transparent to the user.

3.) When you use a proxy server for this type of configuration, only the proxy server actually touches the notes server, users from the outside do not. They still have full access to the data, provided that they can authenticate.

4.) You can use the ISA server to offload SSL encryption from the Domino server. This dramatically improves SSL performance.

5.) It is IBM's recommended method for iNotes deployment.

Download the redbook from redbooks.ibm.com for iNotes to get some configuration information and recommendations. Though they do not officially recommend the MS ISA Server, it works very well.

Go to isaserver.org to get general information about ISA server, along with configuration and server hardening tips.

Leo L'Homme, PCLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back