Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching physical database so CR9 report points to new datasource

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceqube

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
I have developed a CR 9 (Standard edition) report that uses a SQL Server parameterized stored procedure as a datasource (it creates a table). It is located on a Development box. Everything works fine there. It is now necessary to move the stored procedure to the Production Box, and point CR 9 to the new datasource on the Production box. The stored procedure in both databases are identical except for the code that points to the database name. The databases are on the same server. The field names and datatypes are identical.

Go to Database>Set Location does not work. Attempting to update the datasource (a new connection to the Production database datasource exists) brings up the 'Map Fields' dialog box, although no field names or datatypes have been altered. Each stored proc references the same source data from a data warehouse and each creates identical tables, except the original report pointed to the DEV database, and I need it to point to the stored proc datasource on the the PRODUCTION box.

Any assistance will be appreciated, and I apologize for the long-winded question. BTW - could this be a short-coming of the Standard version of Crystal Reports 9.0?

The only way I can think of is the following :

Database
Set Datasource location

Point to the new connection (DNS)
and then Update the table in your report.

Hope this helps

Have you tried creating an alias for your dev box database? When you are ready to move to production, go into your client network utility for SQL Server & edit the alias so that it points to the production box instead of dev.

No changes will need to be made to the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back