Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching off Windows Messenger 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonioAnsell

Technical User
Mar 7, 2004
GB
Hey...

I've a hassle with Windows Messenger v4.7.

Although I have it switched off in the program's options, made sure it doesn't start up automatically using MSCONFIG etc, and it doesn't show up in my system tray - people can still message me! And the program's supposedly closed down!

Help! How do I stop this happening?!

Thank you!

First method: Disable Messenger:

Use Explorer and navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Messenger
Rename the folder to omething like "MessengerOLD" or just move it to a location outside of Program Files.

Second Method: Remove Messenger from XP

Startbutton, Run, copy/paste this line: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Third Method: Disable Messenger

Start, Run, gpedit.msc

/Admistrative Templates
/Windows Components
/Windows Messenger

Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)

Thank you!

Tried option three - and enabled both in XP Pro to stop it starting automatically!

The Gibson Research utility is for stopping the Messenger service, which has nothing to do with Windows Messenger. The Messenger service is to allow utilities like Net Send to work on the LAN, but can be exploited from outside for spam. The Messenger sevice is disabled by default in XP SP2.

I uninstalled it & haven't had any issues. But then I don't need remote login or connection which I believe use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back