Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching off auto-complete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

basildon

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
GB
Whenever I go into search engine, all previous queries appear e.g. if I type in a, previous searches for apple, aardvark, antelope, apache etc appear.

This also happens with usernames, how do I turn it off?

Thanks

Select "Internet Options" from the Internet Explorer "Tools" menu.
Select the "Content" tab at the top of the "Internet Options" window.
In the "Personal information" section at the bottom, click the "AutoComplete" button.
On the AutoComplete Settings window, click on the "Clear Forms" button.
You will get a window asking you to confirm clearing the history.
Click "OK", and you're done.

If you use the Google Toolbar, click next to the Word Google at far left, then click to clear search history.

Occasionally the index.dat file in the History folder becomes corrupted, and the above steps will not clear the entries.

To remedy: Exit Internet Explorer and start Windows Explorer. Locate the folder:
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\HISTORY"

Delete. Reboot to allow Windows to create a new entpy folder.

Because the issue often comes up in line with removing old search entries, you should follow the instructions in the site below for a little .inf file that will remove typed urls history from the address bar:

If you run the adware/spyware program, Ad-Aware SE, regularly (recommended) it can help you control all your MRU's including Search lists.

Negligible Objects.

Objects shown here are not considered to be a threat. They consist of MRU (Most Recently Used items) lists. These can be removed if the user desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back