Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching not working correctly ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalmanTRF

MIS
Feb 13, 2003
US
A question for anyone who can help?

I am seeing an odd thing happening on our network. We have a switched network with 3548s in closests and 6509s with MSFC as the core. In the VLANs I am seeing traffic that I should not be seeing. If my pc's ip address is 172.16.16.5 (255.255.240.0), I would only expect my PC to see such traffic as broadcasts, multicasts, and traffic to or from it. However, I am also seeing traffic from other PCs to other pcs, printers, and servers i.e. 172.16.38.4 to 172.16.16.45.

What is odder is that I don't see all the packets or even a conversation. I just happen to catch a packet here or there from the the other pcs. Such as a ping reply from 172.16.38.4 to 172.16.16.45, but I never see the ping request. It is not limited to just ICMP, but also to UDP and TCP. Out of 20,000 packets I might see 3 or 4 of these packets. The switches don't give me any kind of message indicating an error.

Thoughts? I have run out of ideas to test on this to see what could be happening. It appears to be be in all our subnets, from what I can tell. It is not causing a problem on the network or with any devices, it is just odd to me. I happened to come across it by chance while monitoring a pc we were testing.

I hope this is not too vague of a description on my problem, I just don't want to make this a huge question and ramble on.

I will gladly pass along anymore info if requested.

I cannot say how long this has been going on as I never looked for it before. I have though been working on it for about 3-4 months and am at the point where I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Unicast Flooding?

This is generally a design flaw with spanning VLAN's over multiple switches (hard to avoid when using VLAN's unfortunately). You can tweak the timers so the ARP & CAM Timers are closer and you will reduce its effect, but you will never erradicate it. The only real solution is to design the network properly - 1 or 2 VLAN's per switch with no STP loops...

Do a search on CCO for Hierarchical Campus Networks. This details how Cisco recommend a Campus be designed and deployed (they have been pushing this design since 1999 so its been tried and tested). There is a good document published in April 2003 titled 'Cisco AVVID Network Infrastructure: Implementing 802.1w and 802.1s in Campus Networks' read this.

Andy

Thanks ADB100,

I have been looking into it and modifying the aging-timers and like you said the problem is there, but diminished. Thanks for the post

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back