Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching from Win NT to Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasanthgnb

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
IN
I have got two partitions in my hard disk with Win NT in the primary partition and linux in the other. I want to convert the Win NT partition to Win 98. Can I do it without affecting the linux partition. If possible, how can it be done?

Hi,
I have tried a similar thing, Win 95 remove and install win 98, with linux in a second partition and did not damage the linux.

The way i did it was:-
1)Create lilo boot disk in linux
2)Format the windows partition (normally c:)
3)Install Windows 98 on the primary partion
4)reboot and check windows works ok
5)Use the lilo boot disk to restart the computer

The reason for creating the lilo boot disk (i think thats what it's called!!) is that when you install windows98 it will change the boot record to only show it's self and will not give you the option to boot to linux.
To format the c: you can use either the tools on the win98 cd (ie format!) or by software like "partition magic" which will have all the tools needed.

NOTE always backup any data you want - the windows 98 format comand will delete everything on the partition - non reversable!!

if this isn't clear or you want any more information let me know.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back