Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching Domain Controller Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarch1

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
Here's my dilemma. I have a NT 4.0 PDC "ABC" (PII 300Mhz) that runs SQL server on it. My company runs a Novell system and thus all users using the selected programs that have a SQL backend use ODBC connections to connect to those databases.
I have a new NT 4.0 BDC "DEF" (PIII 1 Ghz) that will be promoted to PDC. NOTE:( I have a third BDC as a true backup). The old PDC will no longer exist even as a BDC once the switch has been made. Is there a way to swith the computer names changing "DEF" to "ABC"? That will ensure not having to touch each workstation and change ODBC connections.

I haven't used Novell in many years...but doesn't it map by server name? If that is the case, I don't think that is any harm in promoting and changing the name. On my NT network we seem to do it all the time...unfortunately. There is definitely a process to the change on a NT network. I could run you through that if you need.

these are great but I need to name the BDC the same name as the PDC so..once I've promoted the BDC to PDC. I can turn off the BDC. Then I need to change the name of the new PDC to the name of the now BDC. The instructions look pretty simple but, will I encounter more problems?

Just by changing the name of the current BDC to the current PDC will not make the two servers change domain status. You will need to take the current PDC offline. Have it join a workgroup...anything, like TEST. You will have to reboot then. Follow the articles already mentioned for the promotion of the BDC to PDC.

While the old PDC is offline, change the name and then join the domain again.

clear as mud now....

Don't take the PDC offline and then promote BDC. Promote the BDC while it the PDC is on-line.

If you take the PDC off line and then promote the BDC you will have problems if you ever bring the old PDC up again as it will still think that its a PDC. You'll have to use a reg hack to make sure that it thinks its a BDC
As soonerland says, clear as mud...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back