Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching between 2 networks? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colttaylor

Programmer
Aug 20, 2002
US
I have a low-tech customer who uses Win-ME on his laptop. When the machine is at the office, it joins a complicated network with fixed ip-addresses, gateway, wins, etc...
When the machine is at home, he would like to use cable-modem internet access, but it is looking for Dynamic-ip, no gateways and lots of auto-detect settings.
In Win2K, I would just set up multiple network connections and show him how to enable one while disabling the other. When I go into Win-ME to try the same thing, all I find is the single set of network neighborhood properties.
What am I missing? Any ideas how to do what I am trying without the complexity of clearing and re-entering all the network neighborhood settings everytime he changes locations? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Peace,
Colt

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid

I suggest making two regisry files, one containing his IP settings for the network, the other when using DHCP.

With IP settings in place.

Make a full registry backup (start>run>regedit>registry>export). Now proceed...

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\CLASS\NETTRANS\0000

Highlight the 0000 key. Click Registry>Export, save it to the desktop, call it NetworkSettings.reg

Take out IP settings, disconnect from any networks, set to DHCP and reboot.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\CLASS\NETTRANS\0000

Highlight the 0000 key. Click Registry>Export, save it to the desktop, call it HomeSettings.reg

That's it, as he shuts down and goes home, he should double
click the HomeSettings.reg icon, so when he boots at home, its set to use DHCP. When he is done at home, have him double click networksettings.reg, so when he arrives at work, he can log right on. Activating either of these will take a reboot to take affect, so this is probably the best practice.

NOW, having said all that, I've always theorized this will work, but never actually had the chance to test... Let me know how it goes, SHOULD work fine. If something goes wrong, you have that full registry backup!

I'm basing this off my 98 computer, ME should have everything in the same place I would think, if not, search the registry for whatever IP address he has while at work, and that's the key you'll have to work with.

Matt J.

Letting a user hack registry is courting trouble, even through layers of *.bat and read-only *.reg....

Consider this thingie: IP Switcher

or

Filippo / spamhog
Computer Victim (as in "fashion victim") - Milan, North Poldavia - 40% WinME, 40% Linux (Debian, Libranet, Vector, Lycoris), 20% Win98, trace amounts of Win2k, xBSD, QNX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back