Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

switching a Tannoy system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howi

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2001
GB
Scenario - a call comes into a small digital PBX, all phones ring, any phone can be picked up to answer the call.
they then park the call If it is not for them, they then have to walk to where the tannoy microphone is to broadcast "Call for Joe Bloggs" etc who goes to nearest phone and unparks the call.
What I would like to do is, have the initial call taker park the call then dial an extension number that connects to the tannoy system, trips the ringing straight away and connects the microhone of the tannoy to the line so that the call taker can announce "message for Joe Bloggs" without leaving the phone.There must be a commercial interface that would do that - anyone got any ideas (Please!)

i am not sure what a tannoy is, but it sounds like a PA or overhead paging system.

What you are asking for is fairly basic if you have a good quality PBX.

Look at a paging amplifier from Bogen or Viking to connect to your PBX. You can even use a Valcom speaker with integrated Amplifier (one speaker only, model 1063 i think) and volume control. Works great on Norstar systems.

js

Howi,

Take a look at The unit you are looking for is called a TAM-B (I think).

It seems to me to sit between the PBX and PA system and exist as an analogue extension routing a call between.

there are others, redcat for one but I can't find a web presence (I didn't look too hard!)

Matt

Thanks guys - info much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back