Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switched local service from ATT to SBC now dropping calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloriaE

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
US
SBC,tested T1 and says it is aa equipment problem on the definity. we dial 9 and get dial tone, then dial the number and never get connected and all lights on the phone (8410) go off like if the phone is unplugged. Then when I hang up hand set, the red light comes back on the first call apperance button, This dose not happen all the time. Avaya went out and can not figure out the problem, they rebuilt the trunk group to the new t1 but that still did not fix problem, SBC also was out at same time(vener meet)and tested T1 perfect.Avaya says they are going to have denver do an xray on our PBX? also calls go dead in the middle of a conversation, but this is all on outgoing calls. avaya and pac bell will be out on monday morning again. has anybody ever had such a problem????

Gloria Enomoto

If this is a ISDN-PRI then you have a problem with your call types thru the switch, your "D" channel messaging is not correct and is causing "call clearing". Check your route patterns and see if you have "Megacom" or some other facility codes there, if you do remove them. You may have to get SBC's Test Board to work with you, using a protocol analyzer, or ACCESS 7. AT&T requires specific facility codes to route voice or data calls (ie:video) thru their facilities, SBC does not. You might also have ARS Analysis issues with call types (ie: hnpa/fnpa/natl/intl). I am taking a guess here since you did not define anything but T-1, but your description is indicitive of PRI call failures. You may also have a DS1 protocol issue, by default T-1 sets up as AT&T custom ( protocol A), which is best to use (protocol b is NI-1). If SBC is using NI-1 or 2 or NTNAPRI (nortel)protocols in their switch and you do not match you will have issues, best suggestion make them match you. You should also be using B8ZS/ESF on the T-1.

Gloria,
I also had calls dropping and had the same problems with AVAYA and SBC duking it out. First I did a list measurements outage-trunk yesterday (or today). This showed me which trunk and members had outages and how many. Then I did a status trunk of the one that showed the outages and found 3 members showing disconnected, problem was they really weren't disconnected and calls were still hitting the bad members thus creating problems....I was persistant with SBC. When they would test on our smart jack they would get dial tones and tell me there were no problems on their end call AVAYA. After arguing with different SBC techs one of the SBC techs called their central office to do more testing and they found 2 bad cards on their end. Central office replaced the cards and my trunk members were active again...this may be something to look into. Of course since this was a central office problem it was difficult to trace! Also has your SBC tech checked the green box outside? We had some problems orginate there once also....not sure if this is your situation, just seems odd that your system was fine until the vendor switch.
Good Luck on your problem
Tina

the problem turned out to be at the CO, the channel unit was bad, we had a bad trunk on member 10 of the 24 channels. SBC using a T-bird, was able to trace the problem. Once the channel unit was changed at the CO we were ok. Thanks so much for all of your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back