Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switched and dedicated lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am new to this arena so I am still learning a lot. I know that this is a basic question but what is the difference between switched and dedicate lines? I need to know right away. Thanks.

Not really my area of expertise, but...

A dedicated line could run from say your warehouse on the other side of town, to your office. The line is there 24/7 for your exclusive use. It can be for data and/or voice, and usually you'll rent it on (probably) a yearly basis, so you pay the same if you use it for 5 minutes just once a day, or every minute of every hour! Dedicated lines can be over short distances, intercontinental, via satellite, etc.

A switched line is not exclusive to you. It will possibly be part of the PSTN, and just possibly could be "busy" on occasions, i.e. in use by other people or services. You would generally expect to pay for your timed usage of the line, so using it just once a day for 5 minutes would be cheap compared to using it solidly all day long!

I believe that's it in very basic terms. Hope that helps...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Switched and Dedicated both normally refer to long distance services on a telephone company line.

Switched long distance service refers to long distance calls that route through your local phone company (PacBell, Verizon, Qwest) and are switched over to a long distance carrier (Sprint, Worldcom, etc.).

Dedicated long distance services refers to long distance calls that route over a dedicated circuit from the caller location to a long distance companies Point of Presence (POP). Usually this is a T1 line with 24 channels available for call traffic.

Because dedicated long distance calls are not handled by the local phone company, the long distance carrier pays no per call charge to the local phone company. Interstate calls are normally less than half the cost per minute for dedicated service vs. switched service.

Dedicated services require a seperate circuit and additional customer equipment. Call volume is the key factor in determining which is the most cost effective way to route calls. Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back