Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switchboard Passwords by Dept 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kastaman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
CA
Hello!!

I'm new to Access 97 so I'm asking for your assistance.

I have created a db that has a switchboard. Each button reflects a Dept's form for data entry. I would like to create a password for each button where the user is required to enter. I'm thinking of a popup combo password form.

That action would be:
1. The user clicks the button representing their dept.
A pop-up password would appear where their user ID and password would be required.
They can only view their own data ( I created a query where the data is filtered by dept. and made a form).

Thanks for any/all assistance.

Kastaman.

Kastaman,

You could use the user level security that is built in, creating an account for each department and limiting the permissions for each department to their form.

Access security is a bit of a nightmare to get your head round, but once you do it all clicks quite nicely. There is a good MS Knowledge base article that deals with it, sorry don't know the reference but it's easy to find. Robbo ;-)

Hi,

The other way you can caeate the tblPASSWORD including the username, password, id, dept... then you can depend this table to create pop form. and the data can be filtered by dept. Hope this help.

Wdu

Thanks Robbo1974 & whu94 for the advise.

wdu94 - your advise seems more feasable but I'm not sure how to create a tblpassword.

Is this a regular table with dept, user names and the password info?
If it is, what step do I do next after creating the table?

Kastaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back