Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switchboard does not work on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emario

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have an access 2000 database just put on a server. It opne on the main switchboard where the user will be allowed to open the data entry form or view reports. This works fine on my desktop but the users open it and the switchboard does not do anything. If I prvent the macro for starting the data entry form and reports work from the database window. How can I reactivate the switchbord? Thanks.

I suspect that your Switchboard is doing something that requires Exclusive use of the Access DB. You should be getting error messages from Access about Exclusive use or Read Only settings. Only one user can have Exclusive use at a time. You'll generally run into sharing problems like this if you put the "program" code on a server to be shared by multiple users. For multi-user situations you're better off splitting your Access application into two parts--a "program" DB and a "data" DB. The "program" DB contains all your queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules. The "data" DB contains just the tables. You put a copy of the "program" DB on each user's PC and link those "program" DBs to the tables in the single "data" DB on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back