Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch to Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoFun

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Is there ANY way to come out of a switch port (ethernet or console) to a routers AUX or console? I need to be able to telnet to the switch and then need the ablility to get to the router somehow. I have beat my head on this one and seems to me since switches dont do telnet there may not be a way.

Thank you for any help.
-CCNP MCSE

(I posted this in Cisco Switch too)

There should be nothing stopping you from telneting to the router! If it's on the network and it's got an IP address, what's the problem. You don't need to telnet to the switch first to get to the router!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
Technical Support Engineer

By the way, if your switch is a Cisco switch, it does do telnet!!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA

Sorry bub, I think you are out of luck. What you are attempting to do is called reverse telnet. You would plug a console cable into the router's console port and then to the switches aux port. You then telnet to the switch, then reverse telnet to the switches aux port, and you will get a console session from the router.

But since a switch doesnt come with an aux port, this isnt possible. But if it did, then yes it would be possible. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have a Cisco switch with an IP address set for management, and your router is on the same network, connected to the switch, you can telnet into the switch and then telnet out from the IOS on the switch to the router .. but why would you want to? Just telnet to the router directly! If it wasn't reachable it wouldn't be much good as a router, would it?? If you can ping it then you can reach it! If you can reach it and it allows telnet connections, you can telnet to it! Yes!!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA

THANK YOU ALL!

The reason I need to do this is because I have 450 remote sites. Everyone in a while a router will lose its config (power surge etc) and I need to get a new config on it remotly. The end user has zero ability to do this. My solution for this is just to Fed-Ex another out to them with a good config on it :(.

I can get to the switch however thru a PC anywhere Dialup I have to a backoffice pc at each location.

BTW: some of my sites have little 1538M hubs too :( How do I telnet from this? I have tried it all.

Is it the IOS that goes away or the config? You have several options.. one is to setup a TFTP server somewhere and have the router pull it's config on boot from the TFTP server. The TFTP server could be local to the router by running it on a server on site. This way all you need to do is bounce the router.

Another option is to get one of the telnet capable power strips. Some of them can be used as a poor man's terminal server and get into the router.

Any PC with PCAnywhere ( or your favorite controlling program) can be preconfigured to where either you leave it hooked up or have the use plug in the RJ45 and then leave it alone.

Just think about and I'm sure more will come to mind... it's only limited by your imagination.

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

If you can PC anywhere to a machine close enough you could plug the routers console cable into com1 on the pcanywhere machine and run a local hyperterminal session. I use this in a few locations where there is a pc close enough to the router.

Good Luck
Mark

CiscoFun,

You could use PC anywhere to terminal to your router, and then reverse telnet from the router to the switch.

You would connect the PC Anywhere PC to the console port on the router giving you router access, then connect the AUX port on the router to the console port on the switch, giving you switch access through reverse telnet from the router.

Wouldnt that do what you are trying to accomplish? You would then have access to both switch and router from one PC Anywhere terminal.

If you need help setting up reverse telnet, I wrote a FAQ on it here:

shnypr-small.gif

hmmm... what about plugging an external modem directly into the AUX/CON port on the router? I've never tried it, but I imagine it would work....

Dialin, connect, enter enter, console prompt?

Mike

Great thank you all for replying! I am still working on this but all these ideas are great and I will bring them up at next meeting :)

Do the telnet capable power strips have theability to plug the console port into it?

Thank you all again!

We currently have some routers with ISDN backups. This helps if it goes down and we need to get in to configure. We are currently trying DSL. Are you using a Catalyst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back