Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch OFF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

straiph

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
GB
Whats wrong with my OFF switch!

When ever (quite common) I get "BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH" my off switch no longer works.

I used to think the OFF switch was the best part about the PC and with todays "quality" operating systems even more so!

I have to resort to pulling the power cable out from the back.

WHATS WRONG WITH MY OFF SWITCH!
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't!"

Have you tried keeping it pressed down for say 5 seconds or so? Most of the time the BIOS would kick in and turn off the durn thing after some 5 or so seconds that the switch is pressed.

IMO ATX machines do well only if you are 100% certain you won't crash, if you crash often maybe you should switch back to classic AT machines with nicer switches, 'course most motherboards today won't work with those oh well... "Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

Yes, I have!

I could give you a list of 101 ways to attempt to switch off your PC! Some of which are permanent! LOL

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't!"

#102: Go to the nearest electrical post, climb up, cut the wires.

#103: Plant a bomb at the nearest electric station and blow it up.

#104: Hack into a U.S. defense computer and launch missiles at your home, then escape. "Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

#105: connect to over head 45Mv cable - it will operate extemely quickly for a short period (quickest shutdown youll ever see) and spontaniously burst into flames to show it has switched off.

#106: for abnormally stiff button use a 10lb sledge hammer for that little extra ammount of extra required.

#107: once safely rendered harmless give to baby as rattle (warning: if MS installed, this could be considered as child abuse)

#108: ensure power cable secure, place PC on trap door, release trap door, enourmous satisfaction when the power cable jerks tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back