Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch log save and Redundant Power System 2300 (RPS 2300)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kockalone

Technical User
Dec 10, 2009
RS
We have several 2960 an a two 3750 switches. They are on its own power supply, and also on Redundant Power System 2300 - max 6 switches on one RPS2300 (it has one power supply for it self). When I turn of main power for switches, RPS takes only one who is continuing to work without any problem and others are are down. I have two questions:

1. How to save log on Cisco switches-after restart I can't see previous events? Do I need Syslog server (how to configure), or can the switch save log in its memory? I want to see what is going on in the moment when RPS start to supply switch. How to export this log int txt format on local PC?
2. Why RPS takes only one switch and not all six (they are advertising 750W), or am I doing something wrong. 3750 has a way to config priority but all other switch are dependent on rps cable slot.

Thanks in advance ...

The RPS is there to supply power in the event of a switch power supply failing - it only has enough power to supply one switch. It isn't very likely that you would have multiple switch power supplies failing at the same time.

Install a syslog server (eg, Kiwi Syslog) somewhere on your network and configure your switches to log to Syslog IP address. You'll have to choose the level of logging you require and enable it. You can also configure each switch to log on the switch itself by enabling "logg buff".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back