Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

switch help

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudz

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
PH
Hi we currently installed a switch in our network. The switch is superstack 2 switch 3300. I tried testing speed by transferring files to another. But somehow i find my resulting data invalid bec. some transferring time from other pc was big when it's supposed to be small only. My analysis is my switch functions as a regular hub only and not as a switch. My questions are:

1. What other type of test should i do to test the switch speed ? and how?

2. What are the features of switch is important that i should configure to boost up speed of my netowrk? is it vlan? stp? fast ip? multicast filtering?

The 3300 is a true switch but one that is second generation as opposed to the latest switches that are third generation.

To test switch speed use ftp as the mechanism to transfer a 100MB file.

But that may not be the issue here.

1) check all ports match speed and duplex on the switch port and the end device nic (i.e. server, pc, printer and router) Auto should work but may not so try hard setting each end, that could be the issue.

2) Set the flow control according to the duplex mode of the port, there is flow control for Full Duplex and Half duplex and you should get it right otherwise things can slow up. it is usually best to disable it unless the nic can be set to use flow control. If a hub is connected disable it. If the port is auto negotiated both flow control settings will set to auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back