Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch connect to Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndunaz

MIS
Nov 11, 2003
US
I need to set up for a class that will be about 10 workstations. The class is in the second floor of our shop that is about 100 feet or so away from the server room. We have a cat 6 run that terminates in a downstairs office of the shop.

Can we put an Airport Extreme Base station connected to the Shop Office end of that cat 6 run (the other end connected to our network switch). Then have a switch (with 8 macs connected )connected to annother Airport Extreme Base Station in relay mode that connects via wireless Upstairs in the classroom.

The Macs would be running Remote Desktop connection into the 2000 Terminal Server all running the same application.

Can it be done, and would we have the same performance (or at least acceptable performance) as if we put a normal switch in the office shop and run wire out the door and upstairs to the conference room/class room)

Hope I am making sense

Network ----cat 6----- shop Wireless
base station

wireless relay ---switch
| | | |
mac mac mac mac etc....

Need to have some ideas to solve this asap! as I need to test it before we have the expensive trainer in here and the network not working.

Thank you in advance.

Nancy

Hi,

Sounds feasible. The company I work for have done similar with Compaq Windows Based Terminals and PCMCIA cards.

I'd suggest locking your wireless device down with at least 64bit encription and turn off the advertising once you've configured all the devices.

Personally I like the Belkin Wireless Adapters and Routers but each to their own!

You should have no issues with RDP or ICA over your Wireless config, especially if they are in such a short range as you've suggested.

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back