Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swing GUI-Garbage Fragments on ThinClients Microsoft-Terminal-Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

derHenrik

Programmer
Oct 4, 2007
DE
Hello!

I have a problem concerning a Java-Swing-Application deployed onto a Windows-Terminal-Server. Occasionally the GUI shows weird grey stripes and other picture shreds. The mysterious thing about it is, that this only happens on thin-clients (yet not even on desktops using RDP). On the thin-clients everything (Windows, Office Applications and so on) except for the SwingGUI works just fine, thats why I come to think its a Java- not a ThinClient-Problem. If an error appears it can be removed by first minimizing and then maximizing the application. Also screenshots of broken GUI cannot be taken, because the screenshots are always flawless. (That's why the attached pictures are photographs!). So it seems to me as if the Terminal-Server has the right picture in mind, but there's some delayed picture-change in progress or whatever. Am I missing some rather basic Swing-configuration?
I read about doubleBuffering, which allows to render the picture off-screen before diplaying and that looks like the right thing to do if it wasn't the standard-configuration anyway. So I don't know what to do about it. Do you?

* The thin-clients run Windows XP from the server
* Java Versions is 1.5 and 1.4.2

Thanks a lot in advance
sincerely yours Henrik

Here are the "screenshots":

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for your answer!

Our application has about 50 Swing-GUIs. There are quite a few things to change in our GUIs to test according to your proposal. In comparison to the frequency the error is occuring this is no solution at the moment, because there remains other work to be done. I kind of hoped there would be a "quick fix".

FYI: In the meantime wie tried a better Thin-Client for one of the users which has had no further problems since then.

Thanks a lot,
yours henrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back