Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swatches palette blank - Deadline today! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clasek

Technical User
Mar 27, 2009
I'm in dire need of advice! My IT guy is on vacation and I have a magazine due to the printer TODAY! All of a sudden one of my stations has a completely blank swatches palette. No white, no None, no Black -- nothing. We tried reloading the workspace. We tried restarting the software, and the computer. We loaded the swatches from our master template so we know they are there. Just not showing. Anything.

We only started using InDesign this week. When my designer launched ID, she had a warning window about a file that would have been used last night. It sounded like the warning you get when ID crashes and wants to recover information. She didn't write it down for me. We have freelancers that come in at night and work on our stations, so we don't know what happened between the time we left and came in again this morning. She had three choices, Yes, No and something else. I told her to choose NO, which I think deleted the temporary file info. As far as I can tell, that's the only we have to go by. I don't know what else may have happened overnight.

I would ask Adobe service, but our IT guy has the login information. (Why did they let him take vacation on deadline?? ARGH!)

TIA for any info! I don't even know how to trash prefs or anything... we just switched over from QXP 4!

Oh yeah:
ID CS3
OSX 10.4.1
Suitcase Fusion 12.1.7

Try quitting indesign. Restart it. Hold down CTRL (CMD) ALT SHIFT and choose YES when asked.

If that doesn't work

Open the file you want to work on

Go to file>export

Choose .inx

Save it to safe place and then navigate to that folder in you Windows Exlporer or Mac Finder

Then open the .inx file.

It will rebuild the file from the ground up.

The swatches should return.

First, make sure you go to Window menu and select Swatches. If it does not have a checkmark next to it on the Window menu it's not mounted. Just click on it to show it.

If that doesn't work, try trashing Prefs.

You'll find prefs in hard drive/user/library/preferences. It's called "com.adobe.InDesign.plist"

Quit ID, trash prefs, and relaunch. A new prefs file will be created automatically.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

We did the keyboard commands when relaunching ID to reset the prefs and that did the trick. Thank you so much! Stars for both of you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back