Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swapping out a KSU 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nappers

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
US
I am supporting a MICS 4.0, and have been having trouble with the T1 dropping, and then coming right back up. I have replaced the DTI card, and the combo card and the problem is still occuring. The LEC tested to the NIU without any errors, but said that after they looped up the CSU they aw errors coming from the PBX. I hooked my test set up to the DTI card and sent up a loopback code. After the card was looped up I received about 2 erored seconds every 10 minutes. The framing and line coding are correct, and it's a straight T1 with 24 channels. The clock is set for Primary, and when I used the test set I had its clocking set up as internal. It seems to me to be a backplane problem. Any other suggestions?

Now they want me to try and swap out the KSU. I have a spare KSU, but the software release is not compatible. Would I be able to use the software cartridge from one KSU to the other and upload a backup?

The errors in the system are alarms 42-0, 43-0, and 44-0. Events are 323-00, 325-00, 330-00. These are the T1 thresholds.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Nappers

Well lets see. First of all how far is the mics from the niu? What type of cable is installed between the two?
How is the circuit setup B8Zs, ESF, is the line build out set correctly?

As far as the system is concern I would swap the card slot and reprogram. I would not think that the back plane is the trouble. The other sytem would need to be upgraded remember to use the upgrade tool.
Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Jeter,

The MICS is about 50-60 feet from the NIU, and is extended over a 50 pair tie cable. The circuit is setup ESF, B8ZS, clocking is primary. The setup looks good. I am currently looking into any power issues, and have escalated the issue with the CLEC. I talked to a vendor that has had this issue with them in the past.

Thanks for the response. This is a great forum.

Nappers

the 50 pair tie cable, What aother applications are on this cable ( phones , lines , circuits, DSL etc )?
I would install a cat 5 cable from the system to the circuit to eliminate cables problems. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

It turned out to be a bad pair in the aerial cable. Since PacBell changed pairs, we haven't seen any errors. Thanks for all the help.

This sounds similar to a problem we had with our T-1 Internet connection. The line kept going down every two minutes or so. It turned out to be a malfunctioning port in the CO.

sounds right, everytime I have seen a circuit bounce like that 9 out of 10 times its because of a bad card. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back