Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

swapping one drive in RAID 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatdog302

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
AU
Quick background to this drama:
Server: DL380 G2 with 5i controller.
Have a three drive RAID 5. One drive Died(ID 1), the instant i took it out another one(ID 0) seemed to die or at least fail to be recognised. Took it to recovery people who were able to get image off each off them.

ONe HDD (ID 2) is still OK. If i were to image the ID 0 to an similar disk and insert it in its place will it still boot and operate? Also let it be known that for some reason ID0 was a 10K drive and the other two were 15K RPM.

Does anyone have any handy tips on how to get this server back up and running?

Hi

My suggestion is to get the recovery people you mention to do a recovery on the three drives. Data is stripped across all three drives so its best to leave it to them if you have no recent backup.
I doubt that you can simply re-image a drive and re-insert it and all will be OK, but its worth a try if you have no alternative as cost of above may expensive.
On the other matter of mixed drives in a DL380 - this is not a problem for functionality, its just your thru-put is reduced to the speed of the slowest drive. Sometimes we have to change a drive in a production DL380 and we have nothing other than a 10K drive as you have, we chnage it and it works fine until you can get a spare 15k drive.

Good luck with it.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back