Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swap TDM for IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlumCrazy1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I am trying to change an end user phone from an digital to an IP Phone.

I have tried removing the ext from the S8700 and adding it back in.

It populates the port number with an S0000X number.

How do I associated the phone with the s# or extension?

Is this done through the phone?

If yes how is it done?

I know we do not have a TFTP Server.

Thanks,

is it a 4600 set?
you'll need to have a TFTP server running somewhere and just point the IP Phone to that IP to get the firmware for the phone. it will take 10-15 minutes for the phone to come up. the S00000X number is normal, seeing that the IP Phones don't use a digital or analog port in the switch. you can run a TFTP server app, such as PumpKin, Solar Winds, or even the Avaya TFTP server app.

Make sure when you add that new IP Phone ext, you put in a security code on the first page of the 'add station XXXXX'. 123456 or the ext of the phone are very good, non-secure codes.

You actually don't have to remove it. You can change the station type to the model you are changing over to...i.e. 4610. The port will automatically change over to S000??X. When you plug in the phone you will have to configure it. I run a TFTP Server from my desk. You can download the server app here

Here is a how to guide for the 46XX phones...not sure which series you are using.

In the future everything will work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back