Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swap file/paging file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayee

Technical User
May 27, 2004
GB
I'd really appreciate your help.

Will the size of this file (on my C drive) reduce if I dramatically increase the amount of RAM in my system ?

I am planning to upgrade my server from 1.5GB to 2.5GB and my maintenance provider thinks it won't make any difference.

I thought it would because:
(1) I know Windows uses this file as "virtual (hard disk) RAM", especially when the system is low on physical RAM chips, which our server is about 10% of the time, going down to about 1.5% on occasion.
(2) When I have upgraded the amount of RAM in a PC running Windows 98, the swap file reduced in size quite a lot, giving the user much more space for their fles.

Please may I have your expert opinion.

Regards,
Jay

Increasing memory is always good. Page file will be same for the start BUT will increase MORE (if you open many memory consuming programs at same time) as when you have bigger RAM, it will page bigger size and create bigger page file ! AND it will keep the last biggest page size on disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back