Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swap creation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranesh11

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
IN

Hi Experts,

I have HP-UX 11.11, i need to create 500mb swamp , i have 2gb freespace in my /home, How do i create swap of 500 mb by takeing 500mb from my /home, then remaining 1.5gb i should be able to use in /home. Thanks in advance

The only safe way to make a filesystem smaller is to back it up, delete the filesystem, recreate it at the smaller size, and then restore the backup. Do you not have any disk space that isn't being used by a filesystem?

I have only temp as a free filesystem but i think that is reqd by some application installation, is it not possible to create a swap using some space from the existing filesystem as we do in solaris something like by creating a file with 100mb using mkfile and then again adding it to swap using swap -a <filename>... is there a way similarly on Hp-Ux?.. thanks

I thought you can create file system swap(not device swap) dynamically without destroying the existing file system?

I can't remember the command how to do it. May be it's swapon or something.

dreamer, it appears you are right, at least from what I see in man swapon. I've never done it this way.

Hi,

I checked for swapon and could not find more on it.. can anybody plz tell me how do i go about , i mean what command i need to give.. thanks

Thanks, I got it-- swapon -p 2 -l 80M /home ( by setting priority to 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back