Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SVR4 - Changing an IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Good morning. For reasons best known to themselves the powers-that-be have decided that a 10-year old legacy SVR4 box (ICL DRS6000) needs it's IP address changed. I have some idea as to how to do this, but if anyone has a definitive procedure, or can point me to one, I'd be very grateful.

Otherwise it's trial and (probably) error!!

I want to be good, is that not enough?

This take me back a little bit. I am a little skeptical in writing this. There should be a file /etc/ethers that handles Ethernet Address to Hostname resolution. Check this file, I have seen this file have IP addresses in place of the hostname. /etc/hosts handles the hostname to IP address resolution. If you change the IP address on the SVR4 box in /etc/hosts, that should handle the box. Now you have to worry about all the other boxs in your intranet. Hopefully you are running some sort of Naming Service (NIS) so you only have to make the IP address change once.

bfitzmai, thanks for the reply. I was a little remiss at not completing this yesterday, but for the record I simply changed the /etc/hosts entry, took the NIC down and used ifconfig to reconfigure. Brought the NIC back up and changed the default route specified in /etc/rc2.d to the correct entry, then rebooted.

To my surprise everything came up as required! Again, thanks for your interest.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back