Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Svr 2008 R2 to Svr 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDKIT

Technical User
Apr 26, 2012
AE
hi all

i have a windows server network, where i have a windows server 2008 R2 std ( not activated yet, still on 60days trial period) and a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enter ( fully activated ) i have made windows server 2008 R2 std a domain controller and Windows Server 2008 R2 Enter an additional domain controller. now i have found that i have an Volume license for Windows Server 2008 Std how can i configure the network so that i can format my windows server 2008 R2 std server and install windows server 2008 std on that server without loosing any Active directory data.

one more ques can i use windows server 2008 std MAK key to activate windows server 2008 R2 std ???

i am thinking of installing one more additional domain and trasfer all the FSMO roles from windows server 2008 R2 std to this additional domain controller and then install format my windows server 2008 R2 STD server and install New windows server 2008 std on it and make it an additional Domain controller and then trasfer back all the FSMO roles to this computer can it take place. can i do that?? will it affect my network in any means

In our network, we have a windows server 2008 R2 std ( not activated yet, still on 60days trial period) (Server A) and a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enter ( fully activated ) (Server B) i have made windows server 2008 R2 std (Server A) a domain controller and Windows Server 2008 R2 Enter (Server B) an additional domain controller.

Now I want to uninstall windows server 2008 R2 std from Server A and windows server 2008 std as we have license for windows server 2008 std

Now can i install one more additional domain SERVER C and transfer all the FSMO roles from windows server 2008 R2 std Server A to this additional domain controller SERVER C and then format my windows server 2008 R2 STD and install New windows server 2008 std on it and make it an additional Domain controller for SERVER C and then transfer back all the FSMO roles from SERVER C to Server A.

can i do that?? will it affect my network in any means

As long as the domain isn't 2008r2 level (its 2008 rtm or below) then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back