Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Svchost.exe error, not worm-related

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuralCS

Technical User
Feb 22, 2004
US
Right as my laptop boots to Windows 2000, I receive a "svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program." error message. I click OK and continue as normal. The laptop works great after this, and I don't see any symptoms common with the popular worms that also cause this error. I can cut & paste, surf the Internet, launch programs from shortcuts, etc. No unexpected spikes in processor usage either, as others have reported.

I (re)installed SP4, installed MS' patch for blaster, ran Symantec's blasterfix tool, checked the registry, scanned with NAV--no worms. I just don't know what is generating this error.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can pinpoint the cause? I know that it's possibly a problem with a corrupt .dll, but how do I isolate the offender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back